National Insurance and Locums

What is National Insurance?

National Insurance is the UK tax system paid by employers and workers for the funding of state benefits, including the State Pension. The level of contribution is based on your earnings and different rules apply to workers operating in different circumstances, i.e. self-employed workers.

Your NI is YOUR Responsibility

When working as a self-employed locum vet or vet nurse, it is important that you understand your obligations in respect to maintaining your National Insurance contributions, in addition to your main Income Tax liability.

You are responsible for ensuring your National Insurance and Income Tax obligations are met, not your employer.

It can be more straight forward to engage an Umbrella Organisation to maintain your invoicing, tax and NI responsibilities.

For full information on rates of National Insurance, please refer directly to the HMRC website or contact them by calling 0300 200 3500.

While we have many years’ experience in recruitment, we are not financial or tax specialists and would always recommend seeking professional advice.

Putting in the work to establish yourself as a self-employed locum vet or veterinary nurse is time well invested. Our veterinary recruitment agency has worked with a number of new self-employed vets so if you have any questions, need any advice, or just need pointing in the right direction, then please contact us.

COVID-19. We are here to Help & Support Your Practice & Veterinary Professionals.

Corona Virus affecting Carlton Professional Recruitment

Carlton Professional Veterinary Recruitment are taking the government advice and movement restriction seriously and have therefore mobilised all our staff to home working.

Our systems and processes are all 100% accessible for remote working along with video phone systems,  allowing us to all to work as though we are just in the other room.

Please continue to contact us in the usual manner: via phone 0115 968 1515 or email :

We are seeing exceptional changes in the recruitment requirements of veterinary practices. Having foreseen these, We have adapted our recruitment processes and terms to match. If you are a locum vet or Vet Nurse, or you are on furlough, we are continuing to see high demand for flexible locum services so please get in touch & stay well.

  • We have abolished all cancellation fees on future bookings to support practices with the changing staffing needs and requirements.
  • We offer secure video conference calls via our phone system to allow face to face business and support to continue.
  • Emergency, critical care and OOH personnel and vacancies are in high demand at present. Our clients nationally are seeking flexible and available staff to meet their shortages.
  • As practices experience urgent cover needs due to sudden isolating staff members, we are able to redirect flexible and available locums with very short notice.
  • Registration of flexible, available and mobile Vets and Vet Nurses for urgent and last minute placement requirements.