Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Enter the animal’s weight (in pounds) in the box below. Then, input the weight of the chocolate ingested (in ounces) in the blue box that corresponds to the ingested product. You can convert metric and imperial measurements using the boxes on the right.
Clinical signs usually occur within 6 to 12 hours of ingestion. Initial signs include polydipsia, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, and restlessness. Signs progress to hyperactivity, polyuria, ataxia, tremors, and seizures. Other effects include tachycardia, premature ventricular contractions, tachypnea, cyanosis, hypertension, hyperthermia, and coma. Less commonly, bradycardia and hypotension may occur. Hypokalemia is possible late in the course of the toxicosis. Because of the high fat content of many chocolate products, pancreatitis is a potential sequela 24 to 72 hours after ingestion. Death is generally due to cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory failure.
- Enter Weight of Animal (lbs)
- Enter Approximate dose of product ingested:
- White Chocolate (oz)
- Milk Chocolate (oz)
- Dark, Sweet Chocolate (oz)
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips (oz)
- Baker’s (unsweetened) chocolate (oz)
- Dry cocoa powder (oz)
- Instant cocoa powder (oz)
- Cocoa beans (oz)
- Coffee beans or grounds (oz)
- Cocoa bean hulls (e.g. mulch) (oz)
- Convert Kg to Lbs
- Enter Kg Weight Lbs
- Weight Lbs
- Convert Grams to Oz
- Enter Grams Weight Ozs
- Weight Ozs
- Dose Theobromine received (mg/kg)
- Dose Caffeine received (mg/kg)
- ER Treatment Needed?