Enter your pateints weight below (In pounds) in the green box. Then the weight of choclate product ingested (in ounces) in the blue boxes. Your can convert to ounces and pounds using the purple boxes

Chocolate Toxicity:

Clinical signs usually occur within 6 to 12 hours of ingestion. Initial signs include polydypsia, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, and restlessness. Signs progress to hyperactivity, polyuria, ataxia, tremors, and seizures. Other effects include tachycardia, premature ventricular contractions, tachypnea, cyanosis, hypertension, hyperthermia, and coma. Less commonly, bradycardia and hypotension may occur. Hypokalemia is possible late in the course of the toxicosis. Because of the high fat content of many chocolate products, pancreatitis is a potential sequela 24 to 72 hours after ingestion. Death is generally due to cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory failure.

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator

Enter Weight of Animal (lbs)

Enter Approximate dose of product ingested:

White Chocolate (oz)
Milk Chocolate (oz)
Dark, Sweet Chocolate (oz)
Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips (oz)
Baker’s (unsweetened) chocolate (oz)
Dry cocoa powder (oz)
Instant cocoa powder (oz)
Cocoa beans (oz)
Coffee beans or grounds (oz)
Cocoa bean hulls (e.g. mulch) (oz)

Convert Kg to Lbs

Enter Kg Weight Lbs

Convert Grams to Oz

Enter Grams Weight Ozs
Dose Theobromine received (mg/kg)
Dose Caffeine received (mg/kg)
ER Treatment Needed?

Amount methylxanthine (mg/oz)

Compound Theobromine (mg/oz) Caffeine (mg/oz)
White chocolate 0.25 0.85
Milk chocolate 58 6
Dark, sweet chocolate 130 20
Semi-sweet chocolate chips 138 22
Baker’s (unsweetened) chocolate 393 47
Dry cocoa powder 737 70
Instant cocoa powder 136 15
Cocoa beans 600 0
Coffee beans 0 600
Cocoa bean hulls 255 0

Based on ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) experience, mild signs occur in animals ingesting 20 mg/kg of theobromine and caffeine, severe signs are seen at 40-50 mg/kg, and seizures occur at 60 mg/kg (ASPCA/APCC Database: Unpublished data). Accordingly, less than 1 oz of milk chocolate/lb (2 oz/kg) is potentially lethal to dogs; for baking (unsweetened) chocolate, less than 0.1 oz/lb (0.2 ounces/kg) is potentially lethal. Methylxanthines can cross the placenta and pass into the milk, so unborn or nursing offspring can be affected by chocolate toxicosis in the dam.

This calculator is produced and made available by the ASPCA Poison Control Centre